Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hot Water Heaters - Savings $$

I myself love a nice hot shower. However over long winters in NY, I have noticed my gas bill skyrocket. I decided to do a little experiment.

I turned my thermostat on my hot water heater from VERY HOT to HOT.
The actual change in water temperature was 140 F to 120 F.

My next few showers, noticed no change. The 20 F made no noticeable difference and the gas was not running as much keeping the water at a scalding 140 F.

-Going from 140 F to 120 F -> Slows the corrosion of pipes. Water heater lasts longer = Savings
-Going from 140 F to 120 F -> Gas is not pumping all the time keeping the temperature up = Savings

The following pictures show the change I made in temperature and insulated water pipes (keeps water warmer traveling to shower = less gas, savings

No comments:

Post a Comment